v. or∙i∙ent∙ing: to align or position with respect to a point or system of reference \God"ward\, adv. Toward God.

8.30.2006

Marlowe

I've had the privilege of having many friends in my life, but none have ever been like Marlowe. In this post I want to honor him for his friendship and faithful example of love for the Savior.

All good stories start with something funny, so I'll start with this one. I was in an accountability group with him, Zac Coleman, Bill Morrison, and Rob Basset. We were singing a song in worship to the Lord and then the song sort of quieted down and we were meditating on God's promises. At this time, Marlowe decided it was time to start his own song....no he isn't a singer, but singing would have been more appropriate than this. He began a soft whirring sound that increased in volume as he apparently gained confidence. He then began to whistle! Yes, he did. He whistled a little song right there in the middle of the hymn! So, needless to say, we lost it and began to laugh uncontrollably at him. He sort of opened his eyes (he must have really needed to concentrate on keeping his pitch) and looked at us like, "what, what are you guys laughing at?" He genuinely considered this an expression of his own worship. And for that we thanked him for his expressiveness and his apparent lack of fear of man, but we also told him to save that song as something "special" that he should do by himself with His Savior!

So, now that you know his public worship expressions, I'll let you know that He is all the more a man of private worship and devotion. About a month ago, he had a surgery that forced him to take off of work for 6 weeks. He is still not back to work. Instead of hearing complaints about not being able to drive and walk, he has been giving me weekly updates about his times with his Savior. What has he been doing? Reading God's Word (and maybe some whistling too!). He has seized this time of recuperation to sit at Jesus' feet and listen, and learn, and be changed. And I can't describe the joy he has when I ask him what he's been reading. This reveals a man of humility and maturity. He is seeking to live in a wise way that will benefit him for eternity.

It's one thing to read about a man like George Meuller, and to hear about his prayer and devotional life. However, it's another to see faith like this lived out in front of you. As Marlowe's co-worker for the past 10 years, I've seen an increase in his passion for the Gospel, and his desire to reach out to the lost. He carries the conversations with unbelievers home on his heart and prays diligently that they might come to know Jesus as their Savior. I can remember many times in the car on a lunch break, or on a ride home that he just stopped and said, "can we pray for them right now?" This example has spurred me on in evangelism, and I can say that I am able to converse with unbelievers better because of it.

I could go on and on about other specific ways this man has encouraged, challenged and inspired me. I see a man who has been changed forever by the grace of God, and He is living his life with purpose, and a passion to see God exalted through the proclamation of the Gospel. Not many may see it, but the world does, and they are being affected by it every day he gets up and goes to work.

Marlowe, thank you for living out the Gospel for me to see. Thank you for not counting your life as anything, and for "becoming all things to all people, that by all means you might save some. You do it all for the sake of the gospel, that you may share with them in its blessings." (1 Corinthians 9:22-23) Carry on, my good friend with the work God has called you to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

Well said. He is a blessing indeed.

9:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home